Friday, February 19, 2010
Travel Tip, Please
So, exciting news this time is that Kevin has an interview in Hampton, Virginia. We're hoping to make it a family trip because I have never been out there and it is a perfect excuse to see Auntie Jenni. The question this time is related to travelling with a nearly 2 year old. Of those of you who have travelled with little tykes, what works better for long flights, through the night or daytime flights? It will be AT LEAST 7 hours on a plane with at least 1 plane change. Do I gamble that she will sleep some if we are late at night, or am I asking for trouble. I hadn't even considered the night option (leave here around 10 pm and get there around 8 am) but there are some cheap flights and...well, let me know what you think. I haven't ever flown with a kid for more than a couple of hours. Help! :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Whatever time you decided to fly plan for the worse-:) In my opinion you should take a day time flight, people that fly at night like to sleep and if your baby is crying the whole time because she can't sleep-people are going to hate you (from experience)-Make sure you take lots to do,and lots of fun snacks-Good luck in the adventure!! My aunt believes in giving kids benydrl to sleep through the flight, so i guess you could go that route and do the night time flight
don't have a toddler yet, but, i did just fly behind one for 5 hours. it was mid day and he slept most of the time. however, he didn't sleep through take off or landing and his mom didn't pack any snacks or anything for him to do, so he screamed for 10 minutes each time. i think some good treats and something to occupy his mind would have helped us all.
I am so excited that you have another interview. I hope it goes well. How did the other one go. Well, we flew a few times when Camilla was a baby. You need something for them to suck on take off and landing...it can be a binkie or a sippy cup, but something so their ears will pop...or else they will scream. Bring a few things for them to do, but you also want to keep it kind-of simple so you don't have to stress about keeping all the toys with you. Bring snacks to eat. Each kid is so different it depends on their temperment, but my kids slept pretty well on the plane. Then we walked around the terminal and brought our stroller and strapped them in for a bit Camilla just loved to watch all the people walking by and reading books. Good luck.
Congrats on the interviews...Haven't flown that long, but the kids and I drove to Minnesota this summer. We did a surprise bag with things they could pick every so often...things they didn't have at home and hadn't seen before. Tic tacs and foaming hand sanitizer were the big hits. Go figure. Snacks , favorite blanket/animal, and patience. Just plan on it being a challenge and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Kristen- congrats on the interview. I think the key here is Maddie's disposition and her usual sleep habits. Take your stroller, snacks, blanket and music and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I took Carter to DC and met Steve there when he was 10 months old and I was still nursing. We survived!
Even with the best planning and intentions things don't go as planned. I vote for going with the cheapest flight and dealing with it. She'll be fine.
Kristen! I'm happy to hear from you! I hope your guys are good!
All is well with no Nuk at our house! And Hadley doesn't want Talon's because he uses a different brand than she did (MAM, she used NUK) so she never liked the shape of his in his mouth. I waited intentionally until I knew she'd get the balloon concept. (I had read about it in a parenting mag) And it's worked great, she woke up crying the first two nights at 2am (Even at 2am tho she didn't ask for it) but after some cuddling and hugs went back down great. She altogether stopped asking for it before bed from the second night on. One week Nuk free I even tested her as I was standing in front of the pacifier selection at the store. She did great, didn't want one or anything.
Sorry that was so long, I should have just emailed you. Let me know how it goes for you when you do it.
Post a Comment